Everyone has questions about hypnosis, and these five are among the most common:
- “Will I cluck like a chicken?” Not unless you really want to!
- “Can I be hypnotized?” Yes, if you have at least normal intelligence, and you want to be hypnotized. (If you’re seeing me for hypnosis, it also helps if you speak English and hear well enough to understand what I’m saying.)
- “Is it true that people in hypnosis can’t move or speak or respond or remember?” No, that’s death! Hypnosis is relaxing and people often don’t feel like moving or talking, but they can and do. And amnesia for the session is unusual and easily reversed.
- “Can I get stuck in a trance?” Not after I say the magic words to bring you out (revealed in the video!)
- “Is hypnosis the same thing as mind control?” No. Hypnosis alone is terrible for mind control. Sometimes cults or governments have used hypnosis along with more conventional brainwashing techniques, but by itself, hypnosis is far less reliable than ordinary criminal methods like bribes, threats, and blackmail. That’s why you never hear of random bystanders robbing a bank through hypnosis.